During this module I have been challenged to think quickly and creatively on numerous different project briefs. The variation allowed me to develop my skills and ideas and have a taste of all things Graphic Design, from a newspaper article illustration to expressive typography to toilet signs.
I have mainly been working in Adobe Illustrator, and have become quite comfortable in the programme. I have seen my skills improve in this programme, from my naïve vector drawings that I did for my initial ideas of the toilet signs, to the more complex drawings of the droplets and characters in our water infographic poster. I believe that my technical ability in the software has allowed me to execute my ideas successfully, and it is clear that as my competence increases so does the quality of my final outcomes.
I have also done a bit of photography, which I enjoy very much. Since the letterform photographs project, I have found myself finding letters in all sorts of places and noticing shapes in the environment. It has certainly opened my eyes to design everywhere, whether it is intentional or not. However I would say one of my weaknesses is editing photographs for maximum effect. I would have liked to be able to edit the photographs that I took in London in December, but I am not confident at all in Photoshop, so this is an area that needs some work.
As this module was run as one day a week over two semesters, it has been difficult at times to manage my time properly, especially when a deadline from another module was in the same week as a deadline for Creative Thinking. However, having said that, I have submitted each project for both modules on time and have been happy with the results. I have learnt how to structure my time properly, and to dedicate a certain amount of time a week to different projects when more than one brief is running at the same time.
This module has also taught me to have ideas quickly. With new projects from week to week, we needed to have an idea, develop that idea and design an outcome, all within 7 days. The importance of a good idea or concept has been the main thing that I have got from this module. As the timeframe was so short, it was more important that the thinking behind our idea was strong rather than the execution although we must always strive to have a well-designed outcome. I think that I have managed to do this in the majority of the projects.
For example, for the brand parody project I chose to mock Hollister for their badly lit stores. My idea was to make the logo hardly visible, with some spotlights only to reveal the logo from the dark background.
Another example was the picture and caption brief. My favourite is probably Rapunzel’s tower. Everyone thinks this is a sweet fairytale, but they fail to remember that the old woman actually kidnaps the young girl. I decided to keep the script typeface for both words, as I felt that it highlighted the fact that this crime is hidden in a children’s story.
I have enjoyed this module, and I will take everything that I have learnt about time management, idea development and technical skills with me for the next modules, and hopefully improve on them further.